Follow us on Twitter: @renditionprjct
The Global Rendition System
The Rendition Project has begun an ambitious initiative to 'map' the global rendition system, providing a detailed analysis of its component parts and a clearer understanding of how they fit together. The focus has been on tracking the movement of CIA flights around the world, and individual detainees as they have been transferred between secret prisons for continued detention and torture.
In these pages, users will be able to search our Rendition Flights Database, access comprehensive anlayses of the prisons and aircraft which were used by the CIA and allied security forces, and track the movements of those detainees subjected to rendition, torture and secret detention in the 'war on terror'.
This section of the website is an integrated set of web pages, linked through to an underlying repository containing hundreds of primary documents, including flight data, company invoices, court records and detainee testimony. It is designed to enable users to navigate their own way through the global rendition system, and will expand as our work continues.
Using the menu on the left-hand side, it is possible to:
- Track an individual detainee’s journey through the rendition system, and read accounts of their treatment during their rendition, secret detention and interrogation;
- Discover what the analysis of flight data has already uncovered about the system, through searching the interactive Rendition Flights Database;
- Examine details of flight circuits linked to specific detainee transfer operations, along with a range of supporting documentation;
- Use the Database to continue investigative work, through searching the 'highly suspicious circuits' which have been identified;
- Access details on the individual aircraft linked to the CIA rendition programme, and the companies which provided services for these rendition circuits.
Rendition of Libyan Dissidents to Gaddafi, August 2004
Follow us on Twitter: @samandruth