The involvement of European states in the US-led rendition, secret detention and torture of terror suspects was particularly marked. This complicity took various guises:
- allowing the CIA to construct and run secret prison on their territory;
- involvement in the initial detention of suspects on European soil;
- providing intelligence to the CIA that led to the capture of suspects elsewhere.
- involvement of European intelligence services in the interrogation of suspects who were being held and tortured in secret detention.
- European territory used by CIA aircraft as a stopover on the way to, or the way back from, a particular rendition operation (and in some cases where prisoners were on board as the aircraft landed in Europe).
Use our prisoner search page to search for, and access, the profiles for each of the 38 individuals for which there was some form of European complicity.